On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:06:36 -0600
"K B" <kcbnac at myrealbox.com> wrote:

> I'm looking to purchase a new laptop/notebook computer...Needs to run
> XP Pro for college (their requirements)
>
> However, I would also love to run Linux on it - just about any distro
> (mainly Mandrake, Fedora, Debian, others welcome as well)
>
> What companies out there either:
>
> A) Sell laptops preconfigured w/Linux (windows too)
>            I know they're out there...can't remember the sites though.
> B) Sell laptops that work fairly well w/Linux
>            I know Dell and IBM both often work with it...what others
>            do?
>
> I'm looking in the $cheap-~$1750 range...any suggestions guys?
>
> Thanks everybody!

First I would consider which laptops have the least general problems.
Check out consumer reports on what catches your eye and read up to weed
out potential hardware issues. Maybe a particular model catches your
eye, but reports are that the battery gets flaky after a few months.

Linux will work on most anything, with some patience. Mainstream models
tend to have more standardized hardware than some no-name models. Check
out specs on your potential buy for chipsets. Google is your friend.

My personal preference: IBM Thinkpads. I bought a refurb A30p off ebay
and love it. Swapped put an A31p mobo and now it's a P4. Easy to work
on, pretty standard hardware.

--
               -Kevin Hinze

rudie at rudie.net     |  rudie at sihope.com