Raymond Norton wrote:

> I have a school experiencing network connectivity issues. So far it's a
> mystery but looks like the network is being overwhelmed with traffic. I am
> going to use ntop to look at things, but I am wondering if there is a
> beater gui tool to see if the network is under high load, and if there may
> be a defective switch or other device causing excessive collisions?

If you have snmp-capable switches, I'd suggest setting up mrtg and/or
rrdtool.  I have it running here at work, and it's awesome for
monitoring network traffic.

MRTG:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/

RRDTOOL:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/

RRDtool is basically a big brother to MRTG.  It's much more flexible,
but it's more complex to get running.

Also, if you have smart switches, you should be able to telnet/console
into them and see if there are any errors happening on the switch ports.

-Erik