> I loaded SuSe on it and it is soooo slow.  Is there a distro out there that
> is designed specifically to run on old, slow machines with little ram.  Is
> it just KDE?  Is 450 MHZ not capable?  Right now she has an old (even
> slower) pII laptop.  Is there any way to optimize KDE to run as efficently
> as possible?  She needs Open Office.

Mainly its RAM usage bloat. KDE is huge. Recent glibc's are far larger
than years past. Open office is huge and has its own entire GUI
toolkit...

Just found this. Experimental uClibc based debian:
http://people.debian.org/~andersee/

At the last SCALUG installfest we discovered to our suprise Abiword ran
pefectly usable on a 486 running a recent debian. It wasn't pretty with
the vga16 driver (didn't have time to mess around with trying to get
native video support...) but it worked. Blackbox window manager. It
helped that this 486 had 32mb RAM which is kind of a lot for a 486.

apt however was slower than hell. Probably mostly bottlenecked by disk.
Pre-udma IDE, yuck. :P