On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 11:46:54PM -0600, David Phillips wrote:
> FreeBSD does not use Linux drivers as they are GPL.  If you have proof
> otherwise, please post it.

http://ovtvid-bsd.sourceforge.net/

"The program is heavily based on the OV511 Linux driver by Mark W. McClelland."

http://www.cs.duke.edu/~anderson/freebsd/maestro3xxx/
"Acknowledgments

  # Zach Brown for his Linux driver core and helpful technical comments.
# Scott Long made a more direct FreeBSD port of the Linux driver, and is now co-author of this driver. See his Maestro3 page. "

further on: "The device interaction in this driver is derived (read: copy/pasted)
from Zach Brown's Linux driver, which is (c) Zach Brown and under GPLv2. The DSP
code and header files are included with the Linux driver and also under GPL from ESS.
In the spirit of "getting things working" Zach is informally allowing this use of
his code within the scope of the BSD license, thanks Zach! "

^- Just because it's a Linux driver doesn't make it impossible to use for BSD

http://www.xsproject.org/speedtouch/

"Thanks to:
Benoit Papillault, who wrote orignial the linux driver.
Jorgen Lundman and Jon Barlow for their help and their time porting the driver under NetBSD."

http://www.posi.net/freebsd/drivers/driver-info.phtml?ID=79

"This driver is a complete rewriting of the Linux driver with an emphasis on
performances and under a BSD License." (ie, we didn't like the license so
we looked at the code and reworked it how we wanted)

<<<

Nobody said it was bad/wrong, just not as nice as having the support on Linux
first, instead of waiting for someone to hack up a port.

> A counter example would be FreeBSD having USB support long before Linux (I
> haven't looked up the exact dates).

Depends on your definition of 'support' =)

> All shell scripts in FreeBSD use /bin/sh, which is not bash.  bash only gets
> installed from ports if the user chooses to install it.

Sorry, I meant sh, I'm used to sh being a symlink to bash.