On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 03:18:22PM -0600, David Phillips wrote:
> Munir Nassar writes:
> > i highly doubt i18n is the cause for codebloat. The demands for
> > eyecandy on the other hand is much more likely to cause a system to
> > crawl.
>
> glibc is bloated because it's a GNU project.  But seriously, it does seem to
> be quite bloated.
>
> Compile a "Hello world" program in C, link it statically then strip it.  On
> Debian with glibc it is 416k.  On FreeBSD it is 46k.  That is a huge
> difference.  With dietlibc it is 12k.

So you say a hello world prog is 416K with existing glibc?  Does it
consume that much in memory?  How can I find out?  Top seems a bit coarse,
/proc/pid/mem seems like, hmm, just a bunch of numbers...

If everythings dynamically linked, I would hope the glibc code space
is shared by all apps, that would make it less of an issue.

Karl.