On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 13:31, Joe Dunsmore wrote:
> Why is it that I always hear about how windows is so bloated when kde
> and esp. gnome can take up even more space?  how did people run linux
> with X five years ago and what happened so they can't with the same
> computer now?

GNOME and KDE happened. Also, glibc itself has bloated quite a bit over
the last 5-10 years, mostly because of internationalization support...

I wish I could run a whole system on top of a non-bloaty but current
libc. I haven't seen any distributions that do this. ulibc? newlib? Near
as I can tell dietlibc is only ment for static linking. None are a
drop-in replacement for glibc. I have a P133 laptop thats cursed with
only 8mb RAM... Maybe someday I'll try that whole linux from scratch
thing...