Joe Dunsmore wrote:
> Why is it that I always hear about how windows is so bloated when kde
> and esp. gnome can take up even more space?  how did people run linux
> with X five years ago and what happened so they can't with the same
> computer now?
>
> recently I was looking around at free beos clones, there's a community
> doing this centered at http://beunited.org.  most of them actually use
> linux and X to make their os.  I heard many of them talking about how
> bad linux is for a graphical desktop and they can run their beos clones
> on old computers very quickly.  apparently, some have found ways to make
> X run much faster.  I haven't tried them out yet, but this is something
> to check out, I'm not sure if there's binary or source compatability
> with linux.  I've also heard that freebsd is faster on the desktop than
> linux.

I've seen this accusation levelled a couple of times on the gnome mailing
lists, and the standard response is 'this is the 21st century - it's reasonable
to expect that people have high performance machines'.

The nice thing about graphical apps under linux is you can largely
pick and choose what and how you want to run, right down to running
gtk+ apps on a framebuffer device (fast and lean indeed).

Linux is about choice.  One of those choices is to be bloated.