On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:05:40 -0600
"PHPTOm" <phptom at wordesign.net> wrote:

> I loaded SuSe on it and it is soooo slow.  Is there a distro out
> there that is designed specifically to run on old, slow machines
> with little ram.  Is it just KDE?  Is 450 MHZ not capable?  Right
> now she has an old (even slower) pII laptop.  Is there any way to
> optimize KDE to run as efficently as possible?  She needs Open
> Office.

Slackware, 'nuff said.  ;-)   BTW, I still have those discs for Slack
9.1 you were interested in....

But, in actuality any distro "should" perform reasonably well.  Take a
look at what services are running.  Go to your /etc/rc.d/init.d (or
wherever your startup scripts are located), and see what's in there.
I'm sure there's a lot of things you could probably shutdown and the
remove from the startup script (or just chmod 444 the init scripts).

I'm running RH9 on a P2-266 desktop at work with 128MB ram at best.
Not the fastest, but works okay.

Also, take a look at your KDE options.  You'll probably want to drop
the high level of eye-candy that's running.  Or, load a nice, quick
and light wondow manager such as fvwm2, fvwm92, Blackbox, or the like.
 Should be RPM's available for SuSe.

--
Shawn

 "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of
fear."
	-Mark Twain

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"