Shawn wrote:
>   One question on the modules though, if a module is enabled, but
> unused does that pose more of a security risk than a monolithic kernel
> where the modules are not compiled in?
>   I'll be loading things as modules primarily, but was curious about
> security aspects.  Scot had mentioned about not compiling modules in
> and using a monolithic kernel if I understood it correctly on
> something such as a firewall.

In the past there have been linux exploits via kernel loadable modules.
My recommendation for anything that's directly on the net (eg,
firewalls, routers, shell servers, etc.) is to use a monolithic kernel
with only the bare minimum drivers that are needed to function compiled
directly in.  Just my $0.02.  YMMV as always.
--
scot