On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:17:57 -0600
The Wandering Dru <dru at druswanderings.net> wrote:

> You can check your /boot filesystem for a config file of the current
> kernel and just copy it to your top-level build directory as
> .config. Newer kernels allow you to build this into the kernel
> itself as well. You can get the info by reading /proc/config.gz
> (this only works if the kernel was, in fact, built with this
> enabled).

Kernel compiling now with the "make dep" command...   Just out of
curiosity, if there's a .config file in the /usr/src/linux directory
anything that is either enabled or loaded as a module will be checked
the next time I recompile the kernel?  Or, when I do the "make
mrproper" will that negate those choices?

Also, which is better:  A kernel with loadable modules, or a kernel
with as few of modules as possible but kernel subsets enabled for
specific devices?  I'm thinking it's the second one, but am unsure.

Thoughts?  Or is that still undecided and up for heated debate?

Thanks for the information everyone.  You'd think this P-166 w/128 MB
ram could recompile the kernel faster....  =P

--
Shawn

 "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of
fear."
	-Mark Twain

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"