I don't know if you're interested in this solution at all, but one
possible option would be to create a free account at bloglines.com (a
web-based RSS news aggregator) with which you can create 'disposable'
email addresses for monitoring mailing lists.  Any email sent to these
email addresses will then appear on bloglines as if it is a news feed
from a website.  It might not be quite as handy as usenet or a mail
client, but it is an option.

Jonathon Jongsma <jonathon at quotidian.org>