Quoting Chris Schumann <cschumann at twp-llc.com>:

> Hi all,
> My company has a server that has uhm... served us well for years, but we
> are now developing an Apache/Tomcat/PHP/MySQL application that bogs it
> down somewhat.
>
> (Netfinity 5000, dual PIII 550MHz, 832MB RAM, Ultra160 SCSI disks)
>
> Right now, when we use the administrative pages, one CPU gets very busy,
> so it's easy to see it's time for an upgrade.
>
> However, in the future, it may not be the CPU but say, disk I/O or memory
> bandwidth causing the slowdown. And I don't even know how to find out
> which might be the cause. Are those details logged? Can I use some log
> tracker or monitoring system to say things like this:
>
> Hey! The CPU was 100% busy for a stretch of 300 seconds, and spent 1.2% of
> the day at full use.
>
> Hey! There were a maximum of 12 processes waiting for disk today, and a
> stretch of 30 seconds with more than 1.
>
> Or can I use something like top to view disk waits, memory utilization and
> CPU usage? Oh and network bandwidth? Our server is behind a T1 and that
> may become a bottleneck too.
>
> Chris

Oh the fun of systems monitoring. There are a number of ways to find out what
you are looking for, but I'm a fan of sar. This will give all sorts of
information about I/O, cpu, memory and network utilization. I have scripts that
will email me sar reports in the mornings, if someone complains about
performance on a box, I look at the sar output for clues. As for your T1 link,
if you get much traffic, that's pretty likely to become saturated. If you own
the router, you can use mrtg to get network stats, if not you can put a linux
box between the router and your network and run stats on that.

HTH,
Josh