I used the handbook at the link you sent, every time.
Neither Grub or Lilo boot the system.
Well the boot loaders start but Gentoo never gets far.
using Lilo I see something like
"starting gentoo......"
something about the bios being ok
then "reboot"

Grub just reboots...

This is my test machine, the machine I install on first so I get
a feel for what I'm doing. My production machine is in need of
a hard disk caddy. So I get to play a little before I do the real
install.

FYI...
I installed Slack 9 on the machine and it worked just fine

I'm installing RH 8.0 on it as I write this eMail

I'm going to install Debian on it next

Linux will run on this machine but I'm not sure the Gentoo
distribution will run on it.

Sam.