This is still working off the assumptions that the nc6000 is somewhat
close to the nx9010, at least hotkeys-wise.  Some of the earlier
instructions on a page I found worked on a friend's HP Pavilion ze5155,
but I haven't tried the latest to see if it works.  YMMV, but it could
help.

http://freax.de/wiki/Installing%20RH9%20on%20a%20Compaq%20nx9010%20laptop

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Jeff Nelson wrote:
> -- external buttons for volume and mute controls don't work

 The volume control buttons can be used via xmodmap and whatnot, but the
mute button doesn't seem to produce a keycode, so can't be used normally.
Same with two or three of the five hotkeys above the keyboard.  Evidently
there's been an update to that page since I looked at it, with a link to a
kernel module that can enable those buttons for use.  You might want to
check it out.

> -- haven't tried using the modem

 If it's the Conexant, you might have luck.

> My final recommendation is this: focus on one thing at a time. At first
> there's so much that needs to get done, so make a check list and don't move
> on to the next thing until the first is finished. I made the mistake of
> bouncing around trying to fix one thing, then another, then going back to
> the first.

 On the flip side to that, you probably shouldn't spend a week trying to
get something to work.  You might want to set a time limit per task. :)
 But yes, I can agree that flip-flopping from one task to another is less
productive.

     Jima