On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Ken Fuchs wrote:

> As Munir Nassar rightly pointed out, the Gentoo complied code is not
> optimal for the processor it is installed on.  I should have said "near
> optimal", since the superlative "optimal" is rarely achieved on any
> thing that's as complex as an Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon processor.

that Munir Nassar guy is an idiot, dont listen to him!!!

on Intel processors you CAN get optimal code, just not using gcc
if you want to get absolutely the last ounce of performance out of your
box use icc, the official intel compiler for IA32 (only works on Intel
processors :)

Gentoo does support using icc, but it is rarely done because icc is not
free. Now i have not tested this and so my numbers are probably
wrong/misremembered but i have heard claims that icc can produce code that
is at least twice as fast as gcc code and many times even more so.

--
Munir Nassar
RedConcepts.NET