Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:

> In other words, it's the slowest most unstable distro you've ever used,

I'll prolly regret this later, but I'll bite. ;-) Gentoo has always been
"as stable as you want to make it".  I would have had some gripes about
the distro a year or two ago but I must say, after using it for a couple
of months again, they've come a long way in the last year.  They
actually maintain a "stable branch" now.  I hated recompiling X every
other day.  Would I use it on a server? Not on your life (I've got
better things for my servers to do than compile software) but it's a
pretty sweet desktop system.

> as for being easy to maintain, apt-get update && apt-get upgrade on any
> .deb or .rpm based distro.

emerge sync && emerge -u world

Don't get me wrong, I don't elevate Gentoo above other distros and I
rarely recommend it to others(I reserve that honor for Libranet).  I
just think it's got it's place just like the other several hundred
distros out there.  The one thing Gentoo did for me was to force me to
understand how my system works.  The only other distro that did more for
me in that respect was LFS.

 > Only the lemmings who don't know better.

I think the installation usually weeds out most of those.

--
The Wandering Dru             GnuPG Key: 0x506A915F
http://www.druswanderings.net

Get nifty TCLUG merchandise at the TCLUG Store!
http://www.cafeshops.com/tclug