I use gentoo linux and love it. Ok, for starters, the best place to search
for help on gentoo or to post is http://forums.gentoo.org That forum has
saved a lot of headaches for me.

I'm going to need some info on what is going on to try and solve your
problem.

1. Which arch are you using? x86?

2. Which install doc? I prefer the "older installation guides" which are
arch specific.

3. Are you using genkernel or did you compile the kernel yourself?

If you used genkernel, then you need to put something completely different
in your grub.conf than with self-compilation.

Also, paste some of your config file settings in too, like the grub.conf
file, /etc/fstab file, and anything else you think might be useful.

All my emails have to get approved before sent right now and take a day or
so to get through, so if you want to email me directly go ahead.
josh_close at juno.com Also, take a look at http://forums.gentoo.org

-Josh