Ken Fuchs wrote:

>>>Of course, it is the kernel that is communicating the error to us.  It
>>>could be the kernel and not a media error at all.
>>>

>>>Does the system boot after doing the fsck, mount and backup?
>>>

>Johnny Fulcrum wrote:
>

>>no - I can boot from Gentoo live CD, mount everything in the part table
>>and chroot into the system - I'm doing a backup now - but letting it
>>boot by itself - I get the same errors .
>>

>Doing a chroot to the "/dev/hda3" mount-point is a good test, but there
>could still be problems with the hard drive.
>
>Can you boot using a "rescue" kernel and root=/dev/hda3 option via the
>Gentoo live CD?  This will cause all the boot processes to be loaded
>from the hard drive rather than the CD and thus exercise the hard drive
>more and be more likely to detect problems with the hard drive.

No rescue option - how ever - I have tried playing with the device size
and the fs size - shrinking both in hopes of moving the bad sectors or
parts of the disk off the mount.  I was able  to shrink the reiserfs
using resie_reiserfs and then using cfdisk shrink the device (/dev/hda3)
partition size.  Upon reboot it was chugging along just great until it
hit the :

* Calculating module dependencies....

It hung there for a long time, and then craps out with :

Kernel bug at sched.c:1265!
.... bunch of stack and call trace junk.....
<0> Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
In interrupt handler - not syncing

I get the same kernel bug message (but different line number) when
booting off the live cd, then mounting, chrooting and doind an emerge
sync ( I was going to recompile the kernel - but then remembered I saved
off two ro three good enough kernels) - if I boot from one of my older
kernels I get the same bug at sched error after a long "hang " at
Calculating module dependencies....

Maybe of note:  I usually always compile stuff in my kernel and weed out
the junk using make menuconfig - I believe I have no modules built for
anything - all compiled in....

>The main difference between booting from the live CD and the hard drive
>is where the kernel (and initrd, if any) is loaded from:
>
>Booting from the live CD, the kernel and initrd is loaded from the live
>CD.  The boot processes are also loaded from the CD, unless the
>root=/dev/hda3 option is passed to the kernel.
>
>Booting from the hard drive, the kernel and initrd is loaded from the
>hard drive.  The boot processes are also loaded from the hard drive.
>
>It appears that either the kernel or initrd (if any) on /dev/hda1
>is corrupt and needs to be replaced.  The kernel and initrd (if any) on
>the Gentoo live CD will probably work fine with root=/dev/hda3.

As mentioned above there was no "rescue option"  but I was able to boot
using "gentoo root=/dev/hda3" from the boot prompt.... it hangs at:

INIT: Entering runlevel: 3