On Monday 09 February 2004 03:19 pm, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
> I would like to make a newly-configured machine have the same users
> and groups (with the same numeric identifiers) as another.  Is there
> any easy way to do this?  Can one copy over /etc/group, /etc/passwd
> and /etc/shadow somehow?  Or, assuming they're not contradictory
> (i.e., numeric identifiers and names don't clash), merge them together
> with the old ones?

I made a very simple script that will extract the uids and gids over 500 and
put them in separate files for you to append onto the end of your passwd,
shadow, group, and gshadow files.

Run it first with 'exportusers passwd shadow', this will create the files
'userpasswd', and 'usershadow'.  Then run it with 'exportusers group
gshadow', this will create the files 'usergroup' and 'usergshadow'.

I would check and make sure that there are no low 5xx uid users on your new
system that conflict, if there are no conflicts you should be able to run
'cat userfile >> file'.

Bret.

> Thanks!

# Make it hurt for someone #