Tom Penney <blots at visi.com> writes:

> I'm setting up https for the first time. (on linux/apache)
>
> Is there any real difference between a $49/year 128bit ssl certificate I
> can get from someplace like instantssl.com and the $895/year 128bit cert
> that Verisign sells? do I even need to pay $49/yr? I know I can sign my
> own but I don't want users getting browser messages about the
> certificate.

Interesting, hadn't found InstantSSL before.  I wonder how the
"sub-$50 transactions" rule is enforced?

You can, however, do a lot better than $859 without getting into that
sort of restrictions, too.  It's more like $150 vs. $49.

I'll probably sign my own, at least at first; but it's for a very
restricted set of uses, where the users know me personally and are
trainable enough to be able to tell their browsers to honor my
certificate.  For commercial use I wouldn't dream of even trying to
sign my own.  (I need it mostly to secure web mail.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b at dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>