I'm not going to use Grub this time, I'm going to use Lilo.

I'm up to the point where I
    "nano -w /mnt/gentoo/etc/make.conf"
I've changed
    CHOST="i486-pc-linux0gnu"
    CHOST="i586-pc-linux0gnu"
    as the instructions tell me to do, this is a Mobile Pentium 233MMX
so it's an i586

I've changed
CLFLAGS="-03 -mcpu=i686 -funroll-loops -pipe"
CLFLAGS="-03 *-march=i586* -funroll-loops -pipe"
    as the instructions tell me to do, this is a Pentium Mobile 233MMX
so it's an i586
    I don't want to move the hard disk to any other machine.

 From what I see in the CLFLAGS the order of the flags is wrong either
on the website or in the file
    The website says -03 should be the second flag
    The file has -03 as the first flag
Not knowing if it matters what order the flags are in (it shouldn't
matter) I have been leaving them alone.

I add the following because I want the code to come from the closest
site "Seren".
    RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
    GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.seren.com/gentoo/"
    SYNC="rsync://gentoo.seren.com/gentoo-portage"
This site is really fast for the downloads and has not choked on anything.

save & exit

I'm ready to
    "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash"
    "env-update"