Sam here is what my grub.conf looks like

default 0
timeout 2
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm/gz

#Gentoo LInux Vanilla Sources Kernel Ver 2.4.23
title=Gentoo LInux Vanilla Sources Kernel Ver 2.4.23
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage2.4.23 root=/dev/sda

If I remember correctly when you compile your kernel your fine will
actually be called bzImage unless you rename it and it will be tored in
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot