On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:55:19 -0600
"Raymond Norton" <admin at lctn.org> wrote:

> I am still working on some Bind 9 DNS servers, and not getting the
> results I am looking for.
>
> I am following this doc http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DNS-HOWTO-3.html
>
> Cache dns works for workstations, but I am not getting the right
> answer from localhost. The first example is what I get  with dig on
> my new server. The second example is what I  want, and get with dig
> on a server I set up last year. I am not seeing anything different
> in how they are set up. Any ideas what to look for?

Not sure if I'm interpretting this right, but have you looked at your
/etc/hosts, /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf files?

Make sure that your /etc/hosts file not only has the 127.0.0.1
hostname entry, but also the IP address (if it's static) of the
system.

In your resolv.conf file, make sure that you're specifying the DNS
server IP address(es), the 'domain domain.com' and 'search domain.com'
lines.

In your /etc/nsswitch.conf file, try changing the hosts line to have
dns first instead of files.

--
Shawn

 "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear -- not absence of
fear."
	-Mark Twain

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"