On Mon, 2004-01-26 at 20:43, david.blevins at visi.com wrote:
> Anyone have any experience with MythTV?  Likes/dislikes?  Any other
> solutions you like better?
>
> I'm primarily interested in building collections of shows to burn to
> dvd later.  Just purchased an ATI AIW 9000 Pro, which I'd have to
> return as they are not supported.  The program seems to be slicker
> than snot, but would love some user feedback before I start tearing my
> system appart and purchasing new hardware specifically for this
> purpose.

MythTV is awesome. It works great for me, with a basic (bt878) WinTV
GO/Duron 1.1ghz setup. For some reason when I changed from a duron
900mhz and kernel 2.4 to the duron 1.1ghz and kernel 2.6, software MPEG4
encode seems to take no measurable amount of CPU time anymore. It used
to eat 40%-50%. It certainly doesn't seem to slow down the system
anymore, yet it is recording stuff. Weird.

Only thing I wish for is disconnected operation. I wish I could mirror
everything onto a secondary backend or something and take it to a
friends house. Right now I just moved everything to a dedicated box
which I can take with. Which means nothing gets recorded when I'm away.
;P

There's third party tools to re-encode to avi's. But I wish I could do
it without re-encoding. Apparently you can talk mencoder into re-muxing
from MythTV's .nuv format to avi, but I've seen no easy to use front end
that does it.