> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV5 [RIVA TNT2/TNT2
> Pro] (rev 15)
> 02:07.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 215GP
> (rev 5c)
>
> trying to run both at:
> 1600 x 1200 at 85 Hz
> using xfree-4.3.0-r3 (gentoo)
>
> at a depth of 24 one will be at 106.1 Khz/85 Hz 1600x1200 and the other at
> 87.7Khz/70Hz 1600x1200
> at a depth of 16 both are at 106.1Khz/85Hz 1600x1200 (and I don't feel
> like I'm going to puke!)
>
> I don't understand why one monitor will drop down in hsync and
> VerticalSync.  Maybe my XF86Config file is lacking?  Can I force refresh
> rates (H and V) on the mode lines?  Anyone have a favorite resource for
> figuring this out..  I must be googling with the wrong word.  not getting
> much info.

You're hitting the maximum dotclock of that Rage Pro POS. Throw it in
your car for use as an ice scraper and replace it with a better card so
you don't have to run in 16bit color. 16bit color makes baby jesus cry.
Also, running a Rage Pro at the top of its dotclock like that has got to
be blurry as all hell...