Check and make sure your kernel is named what it is in Grub. It
should give you an error if it weren't the same, but I've heard of it
not doing so. Also try booting off the LiveCD and rerun Grub setup
for the hdd (it's outlined in the install doc, but if I recall
correctly, run grub, root(hd0), setup(hd0,0), exit.

I think Gentoo does it by default now, but awhile ago I had similar
problems (but got an error message) that were resolved by putting a
symlink named boot inside /boot that referred to /boot. Then, in my
kernel specification, I had (hd0,0)/boot/kernel. For whatever reason,
when I did this, it would not take (hd0,0)/kernel even though it
should have.

Two things to at least glance at...

http://www.mn-linux.org tclug-list at mn-linux.org