On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 07:42:20AM -0600, Samuel MacDonald wrote:
> Anyone think this is a problem that can be fixed?

Probably, but I don't think it's because of the root= arg.  Since the
system is rebooting on you and not just failing to find your kernel or
root device something else is wrong.

The first thing I would try is removing the vga=788 from your options.

Second, I would ask exactly when the system reboots.  Do you get any
kernel messages like the version, bios info, memory allocations?  If
not, your kernel isn't being loaded at all and grub is choaking hard on
something.  I'd either reinstall GRUB or fall back to LILO.

If you do get a few kernel messages, try using the disto's kernel
instead of your custom kernel.  You might just have something wrong with
your .config and will need to rebuild your kernel with the correct
options.

Nate