> On December 26, 2004 Mike Miller wrote:
>

> > Here's the article...
> >
> > http://ei.cs.vt.edu/~history/Time.MOTY.1982.html
> >
> > I have no time to read it now, but wasn't 1982 the year that the IBM
> > PC was introduced?  The IBM PC must have had a lot of influence on the
> > decision, but the article seems to be about computers in general.
> >
> > For this year, Time's Man is GWB and in 1938 the Man was Adolf Hitler.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> Quoting a paragraph in the article (very interesting read).
>
> "There is much talk of a coming shakeout, and California Consultant
> David E. Gold predicts that perhaps no more than a dozen vendors will
> survive the next five years. At the moment, Dataquest estimates that
> Texas Instruments leads the low-price parade with a 35% share of the
> market in computers selling for less than $1,000. Next come Timex (26%),
> Commodore (15%) and Atari (13%). In the race among machines priced
> between $1,000 and $5,000, Apple still commands 26% followed by IBM (17%
> and Tandy/Radio Shack (10%). But IBM, which has dominated the mainframe
> computer market for decades, is coming on very strong. Apple, fighting
> back, will unveil its new Lisa model in January, putting great emphasis
> on user friendliness. The user will be able to carry out many functions
> simply by pointing to a picture of what he wants done rather than typing
> instructions. IBM is also reported to be planning to introduce new
> machines in 1983, as are Osborne and others."
>
> About 1978 can remember one of my son's bringing home a sheet of
> Teletype paper where he had "conversed" with a computer at the collage
> in Mankato.  He was in about 5th grade I think and was allowed to use
> the computer as he had good grades.  The elementary school was also
> located in Mankato.  I had a Teletype machine that was used on the
> amateur radio bands "RTTY", and he asked me if I could connect to the
> collage computer from my Teletype machine.  Still do some "RTTY" but the
> computer has taken the place of the old Teletype Model 15 machine.
>
> Jerry W

In 1969-70 at Marshall-University High School, next to Dinkytown, they had a teletype (with paper-punch-tape read/write) that students could use to write and run BASIC or FORTRAN programs (using timeshare on a Honeywell? or maybe a U of M? mainframe.) We did things like simple mortgage tables with BASIC, and the like, for extra credit in 8th grade math. 1969 was my first exposure to computing.

--Randy

P.S.
Re: TIME MAGAZINE:

TIME MAGAZINE:
Man/Machine/Person(s) of the Year Winners
1927 Charles Augustus Lindbergh
1928 Walter P. Chrysler
1929 Owen D. Young
1930 Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
1931 Pierre Laval
1932 Franklin Delano Roosevelt
1933 Hugh Samuel Johnson
1934 Franklin Delano Roosevelt
1935 Haile Selassie
1936 Mrs. Wallis Warfield Simpson
1937 Generalissimo & Mme Chiang Kai-Shek
1938 Adolf Hitler
1939 Joseph Stalin
1940 Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill
1941 Franklin Delano Roosevelt
1942 Joseph Stalin
1943 George Catlett Marshall
1944 Dwight David Eisenhower
1945 Harry Truman
1946 James F. Byrnes
1947 George Catlett Marshall
1948 Harry Truman
1949 Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill
1950 American Fighting-Man
1951 Mohammed Mossadegh
1952 Elizabeth II
1953 Konrad Adenauer
1954 John Foster Dulles
1955 Harlow Herbert Curtice
1956 Hungarian Freedom Fighter
1957 Nikita Krushchev
1958 Charles De Gaulle
1959 Dwight David Eisenhower
1960 U.S. Scientists
1961 John Fitzgerald Kennedy
1962 Pope John XXIII
1963 Martin Luther King Jr.
1964 Lyndon B. Johnson
1965 General William Childs Westmoreland
1966 Twenty-Five and Under
1967 Lyndon B. Johnson
1968 Astronauts Anders, Borman and Lovell
1969 The Middle Americans
1970 Willy Brandt
1971 Richard Milhous Nixon
1972 Nixon and Kissinger
1973 John J. Sirica
1974 King Faisal
1975 American Women
1976 Jimmy Carter
1977 Anwar Sadat
1978 Teng Hsiao-P'ing
1979 Ayatullah Khomeini
1980 Ronald Reagan
1981 Lech Walesa
1982 The Computer
1983 Ronald Regan & Yuri Andropov
1984 Peter Ueberroth
1985 Deng Xiaoping
1986 Corazon Aquino
1987 Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev
1988 Endangered Earth
1989 Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev
1990 The Two George Bushes
1991 Ted Turner
1992 Bill Clinton
1993 The Peacemakers
1994 Pope John Paul II
1995 Newt Gingrich
1996 Dr. David Ho
1997 Andy Grove
1998 Bill Clinton and Kenneth Starr
1999 Jeff Bezos
2000 George W. Bush
Person of the 20th Century: Albert Einstein
Runner-Up: Franklin Delano Roosevelt
Runner-Up: Mohandas Gandhi
2001 Rudolph Giuliani
2002 The Whistleblowers