I got Asterisk (http://www.asterisk.org) up and running in my basement
with a $20 FXO card I bought off ebay.  I converted my entire phone
system in my house to VoIP.  Yeah, it's geeky.  But, when I'm
travelling, I have a softphone on my laptop with my home number on it.
I've got a couple of Grandstream cheapy phones on the way too.

Setting up the dialplan is a big PITA.  I still have some work to do on
it.  But I've got call transfers working on all the extensions in the
house, voicemail, integration with both the local POTS line and
voicepulse.com.

However, I am selling a couple of items if anyone is interested:
1 Spectralink 802.11b cordless VoIP phone.  It's new, but missing the
battery and charger.  I know a couple of places in town sell them.  The
phone without charger lists for something like $450.  First $100 takes
it.  I believe it speaks h.323, but might also do SIP.

1 Cisco 7920 802.11b cordless VoIP phone.  This one is brand new,
except I used it for about 2 hours.  Comes with everything.  This thing
is sweet.  Speaks SCCP, which works with asterisk if you download the
chan_sccp module from sourceforge.  List on this is around $600.  First
$350 takes it.

You can have them both for $425.  Also will consider trades for other
VoIP equipment.  Looking for SIP adapters, SIP phones (preferably the
SNOM or Polycom ones).  Could use a power over ethernet adapter also.