On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 12:20 -0600, Chris Schumann wrote:
> I want to set up Cyrus IMAP on a server with a bunch of accounts, but I
> don't want to have logins for each user.

To prevent shell access/logins for a particular user, edit
the /etc/passwd file (preferably with vipw) and change each user's shell
from (for example) "/bin/bash" to "/bin/true".  "/bin/false" also seems
to work--I'm not clear if there's any reason to use one over the other.
Anyone want to clarify that?

Perhaps I misunderstood your question, though: By "a bunch of accounts",
did you mean accounts for different people, or do you merely want to use
numerous e-mail addresses for yourself at the same server?  In the
latter case, you'll want to set up aliases in your SMTP software.  I use
qmail, which like sendmail uses the /etc/aliases file (along with the
newaliases command) to set up aliases for each user.  Search the docs
for whatever SMTP software you use for "alias" and you'll probably be
able to find out how to do that.

Eric