Jeff, that is a good point. The more popular the laptop the more help you'll
find online.

-----Original Message-----
From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Rasmussen
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 11:15 AM
To: loren at lhb.name; TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Laptop advice

I've had better luck than that with a Dell c640.  I did get the overheating
issue but I think it is resolved with the 2.6 kernel.
There was a specific program that I ran i8kbuttons from the Debian packages
that helped the overheating issue.  However, you had to run the application
all the time and it constantly ran the fans.

My suggestion with a laptop is to get a popular low end model.  If you have
the opportunity, use a Knoppix CD at the store to make sure that most of the
devices work for you.  Most likely, the internal modem won't work, but make
sure the video card does.

Or I've been eyeing the 4GB palm sized linux computer from Japan with
English translations.  It goes for around $900.  I think it is the SL-3000.
I'm trying to come up with some justification for getting this instead of a
full laptop for work.

--
Jeff Rasmussen
GPG public key 0x9686C12F