    Jason> I have found that http://www.linux-laptop.net/ has a nice
    Jason> list of how to load linux on different
    Jason> laptops. http://www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html may also
    Jason> have some information for you. I'm sure you found those
    Jason> using google, but thought I would list them anyway. I found
    Jason> them usefull when loading linux on my Dell Inspiron 8000. I
    Jason> remember hearing about some emachine laptop that was
    Jason> inexpensive <$900 and ran linux without much
    Jason> difficulty. Hope you find yourself a killer laptop.

    Jason> I have been wanting to get a Alienware laptop for quite
    Jason> some time now. I think it would make a killer gaming system
    Jason> / Linux powerhorse.

I'd love to hear more about this.  I've had the exact opposite
experience with linux-laptop.net.  My experience is that by the time
there's a good entry in that chart, the hardware is no longer
available for purchase :-(  Or, if you're particularly lucky, the
model numbers have stayed constant, but the giblets of the laptop have
changed.  :-( :-(

Any guides to being able to buy hardware that someone's really been
successful with?  The preinstalled linux laptop vendors seem way
expensive, and many of them seem to make their own hand-hacked distros
that they don't keep especially up-to-date with reinstall disks,
security patches, etc.

I'm limping along using Mandrake on my Gateway, but since standby and
swsuspecd don't work right (ATI video drivers get porked), it's only
useful when I get to sit somewhere for a long time.  more a luggable
than a laptop...