I didn't even think of dual booting, I had enough laptops to run FC,
Debian, and XP on separate laptops. They are all old so it's not really
that big of a deal.

I've run Linux/windows on Compaq laptops all Armadas, 7700, 7800, 7400,
e500, v300, and M700. All these are business class machines not presario
machines. Please don't buy one of the presario machines, spend the extra
money. Everything works except the "winmodems" but that's easy to fix
with a good PCMCIA modem.

I really like Compaq's because Compaq because I can always get windows
drivers for them.
Dells are nice I've had good luck with them but haven't put Linux on one.
IBM laptops ROCK and IBM supports Linux they work great for Linux.
I have an HP/Compaq nc8000 at work, the video is unbelievable, the sound
is great, I haven't tried Linux on it.

I use a not so odd scheam for windows on laptops, I create a partition
for the pagefile alone and one for windows. I got the idea from Linux
that creates a partition for swap space.
Memory is the number one thing when it comes to any OS, max out the
memory, you'll be glad you did.
Get 2 AC adapters 1 for the bag and 1 for your desk. I don't like
crawling around to plug in at my desk

Check each manufacturer to see if they support Linux on the laptops they
sell, you may find IBM to be the only one that does support Linux (name
brand).
Make sure drivers exist in the distro of choice for everything in the
laptop. DVD, Sound, Video, etc...

That's my 2 bits :-)

Sam.