On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 03:28:00PM -0600, Tom Marble wrote:

> I've actually come full circle from being a strong advocate of ATI
> for Linux to now favoring nVidia.  Building the nVidia kernel modules
> in debian is quick and painless... and much more likely to work
> for things like TV-out (than the open source ATI drivers).  Getting the
> proprietary ATI drivers to work requires using a down-rev'd X config.

The open source ATI drivers are what I use, and they work great (the binary
drivers didn't want to work anyway), although personally I would also prefer
NVidia.

glxgears
4975 frames in 5.0 seconds = 995.000 FPS
5422 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1084.400 FPS
5421 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1084.200 FPS

Works great, plays games great.

> I don't have the 802.11g card working (with ndiswrapper) yet, but
> I know others have managed to get this to work.

This is the problem with HP laptops, they're Compaq at heart and it
shows when you start looking at the cheap hardware they use. I'm
happy to pay an extra $5 for Atheros 802.11g wireless that works
(with drivers developed by Atheros, for Linux, using the standard
wireless tools)

> It's really nice having 1680x1050 pixels to work with!  And it's
> interesting that when running the SMP kernel it's actually hard
> to keep both HT contexts busy!

Yes, HT on laptops is nice.

Additionally, SpeedStep works well on this system, lowering the operating
frequency down to as low as 300mhz when it's not doing much of anything.
It's something else you want to consider when purchasing a laptop, lower
CPU frequency == lower power usage, lower power usage == less heat, less
fans, more battery life.

Under (my) normal operation, the fans hardly ever turn on.