I'm looking to put a new graphics card into my linux box for gaming.
I've currently got an AMD Athlon 1.2GHz (ASUS MoBo) w/ 512M RAM and a
ATI Radeon VE QY (according to lspci.)  Games which should run nicely
are choppy at best and unplayable at worst.  They play the same under
XP, too.

So, I'm wondering what experiences the TCLUG community has had with
linux and gaming with regards to video cards.  Nvidia seems to provide
the linux community with drivers and support.  I'm looking for a video
card which has a DVI output, but also looking to not break the bank
with these $300 cards.  I've found the "PNY GeForce FX 5700 LE Optima
128MB AGP Graphics Card" to be a nice middle ground and am wondering
if anybody out there has any testimonials for me.  Does the card
perform?  Was it easy to install the drivers, or will I have to
recompile the whole OS?  How about stability: does it lock up the
system when put to the test?  I've had bad luck with my existing card
that certain GL modes will lock the system up hard (ctrl+alt+del
doesn't even work.)

Any help is appreciated.

-Ryan