On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 15:25:41 -0600, John Meier <john.meier at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all -
>
> This is a shot in the dark - but I have an application that can only
> send html emails and I need that email to be converted to plain text
> before it gets off the LAN and out to the recipient.
>
> the official SMTP server it's going to is an exchange server and I
> have no idea if it can convert an incoming html formatted email to
> text, so I thought maybe I could pass it through one of the linux
> servers I have access to  and maybe a relay or something could take it
> in, strip th html and then send it on.  I'm pretty new on the email
> admin scene, so I don't even know if this can be done... ? or maybe
> there's a better way ?

Interesting thought.  With postfix, you could write a content_filter
which does your conversion, then just use it as a relay after that.
All a content_filter is to postfix, is something that speaks smtp.
Postfix accepts the message, sends it to the content filter, then the
content filter sends it back to postfix on another port, and postfix
then sends it.  I dont know of any such content_filter's that exist
right now.
Does the message send both html and plaintext? If that is the case,
you can use sendmail and mimedefang to just strip the html off, and
then relay.

 Jay

--
Jay Kline