On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:07:18 -0600 (CST), Mike Miller
<mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> wrote:
> How does sudo hurt security?  Is it because it can allow a user to become
> root without a password?  That does seem like a bad idea for several
> reasons that I will not go into.  My question:  Is it possible to
> configure sudo so that a password is always required?  That would be my
> preferred way of using it.  It would be best for me if different users
> could have different passwords for accessing root permissions.  Does sudo
> allow that?

Yes. When a user does something via sudo, it operates in one of
several ways: first, it can prompt for the user's password every time
sudo is invoked; second, it can prompt for the user's password every
time unless it's been prompted in X minutes previously (default is 5
minutes, IIRC); third, it can just let the command run, without
prompting for any password. In any case, if prompted, sudo is asking
for the invoker's password, never the root password.

# visudo
or
$ sudo visudo

Combined with
? man visudo

WRT to locking sudo down, I'd give you a better answer, but I myself
haven't delved into using the language used in /etc/sudoers. But from
the security side of things, root should not be allowed to run sudo,
else you can chain sudo commands to get a root shell (a la 'sudo sudo
/bin/bash'). You can (and should) also disable su from execution, else
you can just 'sudo su'. I'm sure there's much more, and I know enough
to say you can get more granular. Denying 'sudo passwd' would be a
good one to deny, as well...

Hope some of this helps.