Quoting Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu>:
<snip>
> > What kind of crack are you smoking? There is no good reason to turn off
> > remote root logins, beyond an extra password to type.
>

> Can you explain this further?  I have the impression (or misimpression)
> that allowing root login is dangerous because if a vulnerability in sshd
> allows login without a password, an attacker can then login as root.  If
> root login is not allowed, they must guess a username, and if that works
> for them, they still won't have root permissions.  Anything that postpones
> a successful attack during the time between discovery of the exploit and
> application of the patch will be helpful.  Is this way of thinking all
> wrong?  I am happy to be corrected because I am not a computer expert.
>
> Mike

Never heard of an exploit that allows loggin in without a password. Typically
what you will see would be an exploit, i.e. a buffer overflow, that gives shell
access at the privelege level the service is running at. Running ssh with
privelege seperation should help you to avoid getting rooted in this way.

I disallow root logins on my work boxes because I don't want people logging in
as root, if they need the priveleges they can sudo. Of course I am also not
foolish enough to set things up as Matthew described. On my personal machines I
disable root login largely out of habit. You should have a strong enough
password on root to invalidate any dictionary attacks.

Josh