On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 02:19:19PM -0600, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:

> I'm no expert on PuTTy use, so I'm shutting up about that.  But,
> absolutely AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, shut off remote root access through
> SSH!  Once you've got a user account working, you'll be able to log in
> as a user and su to root for anything rootish you need to do.
>
> If you don't do this, the next time there's an sshd hole, your machine
> will be toast....

What kind of crack are you smoking? There is no good reason to turn off
remote root logins, beyond an extra password to type. If they snarfed
*YOUR* password from somewhere they can probably snarf your root password
as well when you su -.  A lot of people who turn off remote root also setup
sudo so they don't have to type the root password, making it moot to begin
with.

A bug in ssh isn't going to magicly say 'oh, but they have allowrootlogin
turned off, i guess i won't be vulnerable today!'