On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 Alfonso_Chavez at cargill.com wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if you are connected as root
> and use "su user", the system won't ask you for the password.
> Nonetheless, that is a good way to determine if you have a default shell
> (/bin/bash, etc)

Right.  Also, just look in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow

Anyone creating accounts who doesn't understand those two files should now
learn about them!

When I've had the problem reported here, it was always because I didn't
create a normal password for the new user.  SSH seems to require that.
Someone else suggested this earlier.

I think I've also typed the wrong path to the shell, but I'm pretty sure
the system reports that before it kicks you out.

Mike