On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 smac at visi.com wrote:

> I was talking with one of my security friends this week when I said "We are
> having our ceiling replaced in the basement because of some water damage. The
> guy is at our home doing it now."
> The first thing out of his mouth was "Change the locks on all your doors, right
> now!"
> I asked him "Why?"
> He said "The guy who did the work may talk about his work and what you have in
> your house, at a local tavern and be over heard. They guy who did the work is
> licensed and bonded but it doesn't make him smart when it comes to security".
>
> I guess this is one of the ways homes get robbed, over heard conversations.

What would changing the locks do?  The random thief that overhears the
conversation doesn't have keys to your existing locks, right?

And while I can see the repairman talking about the really nice
big-screen, I can't imagine him mentioning (or even remembering) your
address when he's having a few at the pub.  So the eavesdropper wouldn't
know what house to go to in any case.

More worrisome is your friends.  They are more likely to drop your name
and possibly street in casual conversation.  Did you hear about Sam's new
<stealable item>?  Which Sam?  Sam Mac.  The one that lives over by Beach
Street.

How's your security friend's tinfoil hat fitting these days?

Ask him if he has an automatic garage door opener.  Then ask him if he
locks the service door from his house to the garage.  Then tell him what
$20 in parts at Radio Shack will get you.