>A few more minutes go by and get an IM from my buddy - ISP called back,
>power cord was loose.

Loose power cord... are the cables managed?
   (another good reason to manage the cables in the rack)
If the machine is on a UPS it might (might) signal a lack of power and do a
clean shutdown.

I had a machine with the locking tab on the patch cable missing (didn't know it)
the mouse and keyboard would be flaky in Terminal sessions. A "Who" who
shouldn't have access to the computer room got in and replace the good cable
with a bad cable.  All the locks in the building got changed a week later.

***
>In the mean time a little more dialoging revealed the fact that there was no
>longer a keyboard attached.

Is the server in a secure location?
***

I hear this sort of stuff and can't help but wonder what the heck people are
thinking when they get up in the morning. Data centers need to have locks on
the doors, where the only the SA's and TL's have access. The large data centers
I've worked in had video, card access locks, and other security that I can't
talk about. I know it's hard in small installations to be secure but a good
lock and key are only about $250 installed.

Sam.