I'm going OT!

My $.2,

I have a fbsd box running vinum in raid 5 and had 2 of 7 drives fail w/o
issue. Albeit the system slowed to a crawl but it stayed alive long
enough for 2 hot spares to be put in place and all was well.. The
machine is still online at ~190 days of uptime, this took place around
day 30. It depends on how many drives, how much cache, and how well the
RAID software is written regardless of whether it's hardware or software
based.
(I'd like to see if a windows software raid5 could loose 2 of 7 in an
array and stay upright.)

You are obviously never going to loose 2 of 3 drives in a 3 drive raid5
and walk away with your data..

-Tom