On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 13:18:37 -0500, Munir Nassar
<nassarmu at redconcepts.net> wrote:
> when sending email to a public forum you should have no reason to expect
> your email to be replaced with "tclug-list at mn-linux.org". IF it does,
> great, kudos to the list admin.

True, but we're not talking about just any list. We're talking about
our beloved TCLUG list. And just because others operate one way
doesn't mean we must as well.

> But i still think there should be no expectation of the sender email
> being kept a secret when sending email to a public forum. Even if that
> has been the case in the past. If need be use a disposable account,
> install spamassassin and implement harsher ACLs on your mail server.

I know in this crowd perhaps this is not common, but not everyone runs
or has control over their own mail server. In my not-so-vast
experience, not publishing my email address to crawlable archives of
lists is a good way in avoiding spam, whether I run my own email
server or not.