Tim Wilson wrote:
> On 8/26/04 3:41 PM, "Josh Trutwin" <josh at trutwins.homeip.net> wrote:
>

>>I'm planning a long-overdue upgrade from SuSE 8.0 on my home "server" to Slack
>>10 and I'd like to give 2.6 a try.  Figured I'd first ping the list to see if
>>anyone had any horror stories about kernel 2.6.  I see that kernel.org already
>>has 2.6.8.1 (.1?) so I'm guessing it's stabilized a bit.  Last time I tried it
>>though on an old laptop it didn't like it much.
>

> If I remember correctly, 2.6.8 was a "brown bag" release. Hence the quick
> appearance of 2.6.8.1.
>
> -Tim

I've been running 2.6.7 on 8 production servers, 3 gateway routers, 2
desktops, and my laptop for quite a while now.  I've run through the
2.6.[0-6] versions as well.  I had a few hiccups with the laptop on .3
and .5 (cpu/acpi issues) but nothing since then.  I've been debating
going to .8.1, but since there's no real bug fixes for me on that one,
I'll probably stick with .7.  The only reason I moved to .7 was the
exploit that was found, otherwise .6 was running great.  I've had issues
with ALSA and my SBLive card (mixer labels are wrong), but since that
machine is mostly a server, I can live with it.

Uptime seems good, mostly, I can't comment on it much though, I've had
frequent power outages and my battery backup is dieing.  I haven't had a
panic since 2.6.1.  I'd recommend checking it out at least.  The usual
precautions apply (keep your old kernel handy, backup important stuff,
make boot disks just to be safe, etc...)

Good luck

Chris Frederick