If by regular lines you mean POTS lines, like regular, analog telephone
lines, then he won't be able to offer 56k or ISDN service.

This may be more of an issue for the PUC than the FCC - those rates are
supposed to be tarriffed, so the telco is supposed to get approval for
rate increases on basic services.

And if he is in a rural area, maybe just him and the telco offering ISP
services, there is a very strong case with the PUC about the phone company
trying to ice him out.  Fun to watch.

Is your friend in MN?  If so, what area?  I've run ISP dial services in 3
different calling areas in MN, so I've dealt with a lot of the smaller
carriers in more rural areas.  Maybe there's a better option.