On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:50:41 -0500, Munir Nassar
<nassarmu at redconcepts.net> wrote:

> johnnyfulcrum wrote:
>> Hi -
>>  Been looking for some "live chat" software - the kind where when a
>> user is  browsing your web site, they can click a button and it'll
>> launch a chat  session with a tech or operator of the site.
>>  I found quite a few commercial packages - some with monthly fees,
>> some  without and I also found Crafty Syntax's live help system via
>> source forge  (http://www.craftysyntax.com/livehelp/?v=2.7).
>>  I need something that'll run on a linux box and preferably
>> open-source.   Anyone have any experience with the admin/install/upkeep
>> of live help  systems?  Any recommendations?
>
> cgiirc.sf.net
>
> it is basically an irc client with a cgi wrapper, you can restrict which
> channels, servers, commands and even nicks which people use.
>
> very customizable,

Sweet cgi!  But I am looking for a system a bit more dumbed down - on both
ends.  User on web clicks button to chat live with support/sales
dude/whatever, and then Joe Blow tech operator sees a chat request from
said Web surfer, answers the chat call and starts helping the surfer out.
Joe Blow may have two or three chats going at once, but the end users only
chat with Joe Blow and don't see other's chats.

I have Road Runner Cable and they have a Live support chat - where you
click and get connected to a tech support person.  It seems as if you're
chatting one on one with the person, but I bet they have multiple chats
going at once and have some big "command queue" screen up...