Are you using a different key for the local host for rndc than before? The
keys have to match between /etc/named.conf and /etc/rndc.conf. If you issue
the command

# service named status

that is effectively doing the same thing as

# rndc status

If you kept your named.conf from your old installation, you might have ended
up with different keys for rndc. Rndc will use the default key in its own
config file. Should match the one in named.conf

Also check your "controls" statement in named.conf. Should allow localhost
on port 953 with the configured rndc key.

The DNS and BIND book, by Albitz and Liu, has a discussion of setting up
rndc on pages 145 - 147.

If you provide a few more details, I might be able to help you through this.

Name service problems can be real hair-puller-outters. I sympathize.

BRYAN ZIMMER