On 08/17 11:00 , John T. Hoffoss wrote:
> A coworker is doing an assessment comparing groupware solutions for a
> client. They're currently using straight-up SMTP + POP3 clients.
> Exchange is an option, but these guys are a non-profit and pretty open
> source-friendly, so they're looking for open solutions as well. I've
> found what seem to be the big two, eGroupWare, and OpenGroupWare.

I and some other people here at Real-Time evaluated OpenGroupware; and found
it to be pretty vile. Lousy user interface, bad packaging, wasn't easy to
set up, limited add-on modules (at least that were readily apparent), and
the documentation was spotty at best. it appears that opengroupware is a
crippled version of Skyrix; so it doesn't fully stand on its own, it's
propped up by a commercial company.

I've been trying phpgroupware for the last couple of days; and it's a world
better. Easy to set up, easy to use, and offers a lot of functionality in
add-on modules. I'm also told that it can directly interface with KDE
desktop components via kioslaves; so the KDE calendar can read the
phpgroupware calendar, etc.

phprojekt looked interesting, and definitely has some good ideas.
phpgrouware seems to have a lot more features and polish tho.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator