Steve Linabery wrote:
> OK, somewhat pursuant to my other post about trouble with the e1000 driver for intel gigabit nic:
>
> I've always been reluctant to try to use a vanilla kernel with redhat distros (including fc2 in that category). I don't want to break parts of the distro that are depending on some strange tweak that rh people have contributed to the kernel.
>
> I mean, I know how to compile a kernel, but just don't want to cause more trouble than I cure.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated as always.

How about rolling your own RPM?:

1. installing SRPM for kernel-source package, whatever RH provides as
   latest

2. cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
   replace kernel-2.4.xx.tar.gz with latest from ftp.kernel.org

3. vi /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/kernel.spec (might have a different name but
   definitely a ".spec" file.  You'll have to replace all occurances of
   the kernel version with your new version.

Example:
RH ships 2.4.20 lets say
you want to use 2.4.27 from kernel.org

in vi:
:%s/2\.4\.20/2\.4\.27/g

4. rebuild the rpm:

	cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
	rpm -ba kernel.spec

	newer versions of RPM I believe use:

	rpmbuild -ba kernel.spec

5. Finished RPM will live in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386:

	cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
	rpm -i kernel-2.4.27.i386.rpm
	don't for get to run lilo or edit your grub.conf and reboot
--
scot